Don’t feel safe at home? Where to find support for domestic abuse

Last reviewed on 9 March 2021

The COVID-19 restrictions are particularly difficult if your home isn’t a safe place. If you’ve witnessed or you’re experiencing domestic abuse – or you’re worried that a situation might escalate – there is help available and you are allowed to leave your home during lockdown.

Domestic abuse might involve someone at home being violent towards you, controlling what you do or threatening to harm you. You might also be worried about someone else, such as a sibling or a friend, who may be experiencing domestic abuse. The NSPCC website contains lots of useful information and advice.

Please remember:

  • If you or someone else is in immediate danger, call 999. If you can’t talk, you can make a silent call by dialling 999 then pressing 55 when the operator starts talking so that your call can be transferred to the police.
  • It’s really important that you tell an adult you trust, like one of your teachers, your GP or a social worker. They’ll be able to help you get the right support.
  • You can call Childline for free on 0800 1111 to talk in confidence to a trained counsellor about current or past abuse.
  • You are allowed to leave your home during the COVID-19 lockdown if you’re experiencing domestic abuse. If you can get to a local pharmacy, ask for ‘ANI’ (pronounced like the name ‘Annie’) and the pharmacy team will support you.

Domestic abuse can have a negative impact on your mental wellbeing. It might make you feel sad or angry. You might find it difficult to sleep, eat or concentrate on your schoolwork. Perhaps you feel guilty as you think it might be your fault even though it isn’t.

As London’s digital mental wellbeing service, Good Thinking provides lots of resources to help you manage any feelings of anxiety, stress, low mood and difficulties sleeping. Visit our young people section to find out more.

Useful websites and helplines

BBC Radio 1 (Life Hacks podcasts about anxiety, loneliness and other wellbeing topics)

Childline (0800 1111)

Disrespect Nobody

Galop (LGBT+ support – 0800 999 5428)

NSPCC (0808 800 5000)

The Hideout

The Mix (0808 808 4994)

YoungMinds (text YM to 85258)

We would like to ask if you would tell us, anonymously, in which London Borough you live, work or study.

This information will help us develop more personalised support for Londoners, and improve our service to all users. Please see our terms and conditions for more information.